Monday, July 30

Analytical Vacancy.

Apparently, the banal depths of the IMDB forums can prove to be more intelligible than individual's passing themselves off as "film critics". OK, certainly that's a bit hyperbolic but there's few things that prove to be more annoying (see: disenchanting) than people just assuming that we're already saddled up for the joke. Pandering or clubbing around your own self-entitlement doesn't mean we're on board already. Hey, there's nothing wrong with pedantry but at least understand that assuming critical supervision means you actually worked on something; boldly attributing innate observation pretension can backfire, you know? Listen, I'm not saying I've never treaded the water on didacticism or that I've ever wrote page after page of expository circumvention, but I sure as hell have never sought to submit something to any sort of a film journal--no matter how informal--that just emphasizes my deficiencies.

Lost in Translation


Lost in Translation finds Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson playing a man and a woman, respectively, both of whom wander around an expensive Tokyo high-rise hotel with nothing to do. They have nothing to do, the film insists, because they are too smart for it all. Anyone not Japanese in the film is depicted as terribly superficial; Johansson's husband is a fashion photographer, Murray's spouse sends him carpet samples. The Japanese, for their part, are hardly depicted at all, except to underscore the protagonists' alienation.

What they are smart about is the mystery. Too bored with their hotel rooms but too smart for all the suffocating superficiality, Murray and Johansson run around a neonlit, arcade-laden Tokyo still doing next to nothing. Maybe they're smart for each other? They kiss at the end, though that doesn't seem to change much of anything.

The problem is, Lost in Translation isn't all that smart. It seeks to capture the alienation of the upper classes, insisting that the air way up there is terribly thin in terms of meaning. Unfortunately, the film is just as thin, about as meaningful as your average episode of Laguna Beach, an MTV reality television with cinema-like production values that documented the love lives of immensely well-to-do teenagers in California. I struggle to see what difference it makes that the vacuity of Lost in Translation is intentional; the result is just about the same.

Maybe the film's problem was that it's director, Sofia Coppola, is the well-to-do daughter of Francis Ford Coppola (known for such films as the Godfather triology, Apocalypse Now and Jack). She's probably had access to cinematic tropes all her life (I hear she name-dropped Antonioni in her Best Screenplay Oscar speech), but Lost in Translation makes me think she's lost as to how to tie all these tropes together into something meaningful.


The internet has been a savior for a lot of things but also has shallowly verified cheap amounts of self-importance. It's recognized that certain informalities are going to be there, but it doesn't mean it's actually just a selling point. Since when has reviewing been more about chauvinism than about perceptiveness? Calling Lost in Translation "vacuous" (irony, I know) or implying fault with it's attempt at "captur[ing] the alienation of the upper classes, insisting that the air way up there is terribly thin in terms of meaning" is much too contrived for any level of reviewing, especially when neither of those jabs are actually defined; after all, the latter denunciation pretty much nullifies Fellini's, Antonioni's, and half of Resnais' catalog. Although, I never knew that alienation, detachment, culture shock, existentialism, etc. were purely high-browed ideals. Does Satantango fail because desolation only holds bearing with those who truly know deprivation and poverty? And above all, are we still at the point where gender and (implied) nepotism are actually being sold as authentic criticism?

I've sort of been on a Lost in Translation/ Sofia Coppola streak as of late, so I'll try to post some responses to common criticism within the next day or two.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy,

You probably won't be surprised to know my review began as a livejournal post, and made its way to Lucid Screening a year or two later when the site was still in its infancy, hungry for content.

My four breezy paragraphs are overly glib and too pithy to be serious film criticism, but I never claimed to be a serious film critic (though Lucid Screening gives me a professional-looking smokescreen... Lucid Smokescreening?). If I cared enough, this is the review of Lost in Translation I would like to have written: http://www.filmquarterly.org/pdfs/article5901.pdf It is by Homay King and appeared in the journal Film Quarterly.

King's four pages improve immeasurably on my four paragraphs, but its arguments don't differ very much from my own, though it backs them all up with footnotes and the essential international, political, and film contexts (what you point out my review was obviously lacking). It's abstract reads: "LiT was big in the States, but less so in Japan, where its racism deterred critics. While clearly trafficking in stereotypes, the film does depart from Hollywood's traditions of Orientalism by indicating that its Tokyo is actually a fantasy version projected by Americans abroad. Still, the film lacks the complexity of its European predecessors." I think its a great article.

King doesn't address the class issue, which I think is inescapable in at least the last two of Coppola's films. You're right that my denunciation of upper class vacuity is equally applicable to Fellini, Antonioni, and Resnais. Whatever the strengths of their films (and Resnais is one of my favorite filmmakers, at least until Stavinsky - I haven't seen anything after that), I believe this criticism applies to them as well. For me, that privilege is boring is itself a boring point to make; maybe you find it fascinating. Obviously somebody does or they wouldnt keep making films about it.

Or maybe it has to do with rich people being the ones who generally make films. No matter how hard I try to ignore it, the influence of Coppola's background on her films is very hard to dismiss, particularly when she herself acknowledges that LiT was in part autobiographical. The shit she often gets for being rich is often mixed-up with problematic jabs at her gender, and that is completely unfair (do you imply I am doing this by mentioning gender at the end of your blog post? It is unclear to me); many similar male film-makers from similar backgrounds (Wes Anderson comes to mind) never have to deal with that. But neither does the issue of gender erase the question of class, and how her last two films have strictly limited themselves, almost hermetically, within a privileged bubble.

Thanks for taking me seriously enough to devote a blog post to me, and I'm sorry I didn't take a favorite film of yours as seriously as I could have.

Austintation said...

Ah, well some of this is mildly comforting.

I apologize for using you as a microcosm for my revolution against this sort of writing (I'm actually a fan of you other writing, so it did seem rather "off" in that respect) but hey, it was all in good fun.

I'll check out the article in the time being -- I've never really heard that many compelling "objective arguments" against the film -- and probably post a rebuttal on here. I think the class issue is rather misleading because I think she taps into emotions and anxieties that are rather prevalent across the board. Firstly, it's never really made apparent whether Charlotte is of the upper class, and compared to Bob? Hardly. Either way, I sort of find it as a sort of a cop-out criticism because I think film has been created to do so many things and among them is to portray the vast complexities of humanities. I really can't get behind the notion that any of the rather broad emotions are singularly identifiable with a particular class, but hey, to each his own, I guess. It just seems like you're allowing personal sentiments over a director to skew into the much maligned territory of cinematic self-containment. It's not illogical, I'm the same way about animal cruelty but it doesn't really serve well as serviceable criticism, IMHO.

But neither does the issue of gender erase the question of class, and how her last two films have strictly limited themselves, almost hermetically, within a privileged bubble.

I still can't get behind this. Because while I'm not aloof to common knowledge that Marie Antoinette is an attack on the insularity of privelage and what not, it's seeking not to delineate who she actually was, and to an extent,Coppola's attempt to humanize an individual who appears to be one the least "mortal" in the world's history is quite noble, if you ask me. That film was all about the excess, and the emotional vibrancy of Marie's flagrant luxuries rather contrasted nicely with the lack of insignificance she gave to the "outside world" -- that's why I found it so frightening at the end. Either way, I can't get behind the logic that Coppola, or fuck Resnais, is actually incomptent because some of their visions envision characters of the upper class. Seems like a limited view of the medium, if you ask me.

*Note: I suppose a lot of this has to do with the fact that you seemed to have taken more of a sociological approach to film making, judging by your blog. More on this later, if need be.

Thanks for taking me seriously enough to devote a blog post to me, and I'm sorry I didn't take a favorite film of yours as seriously as I could have.

Hey, anybody who encourages intellectual strife is cool with me. ;)

Anonymous said...

ukchap launch early huffaker accomplish diversify favourites leonardo spelling severe lister
lolikneri havaqatsu